Hire a Professional or Do It Yourself?
Should you clean your own gutters or pressure wash your own home? Do you have the time and experience it takes to do the job safely and thoroughly? Will anybody notice those areas you couldn’t quite get to? Do you know how much pressure, how much heat and which chemicals to use to get the job done without causing damage to the structure you’re cleaning?
Roof tiles can be blown off, wood can be gouged, siding can be dented and concrete can become etched when too much pressure is used. A professional pressure washer knows how much pressure to use, how much heat and which chemicals.
Take a look at the tabbed items below for more information to consider before you make the decision to do this yourself or hire a professional
Questions to ask when you hire a professional
Once you’ve decided to hire a professional pressure washer, you want to make sure you hire one that has been through the proper training, has the experience to do the job correctly, and you can be sure will stand by their work. There’s a few questions you should make sure to ask:
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you insured?
- How much pressure, measured as pounds/inch and gallons/minute will be used.
- If they talk about using high pressure only, look elsewhere
- Ask if they use hot or cold water
- They should say both – if only cold it’ll be less effective for some stains
- What chemicals will they be using
- …if they say “bleach”, they’re inexperienced and you should look elsewhere
- They should mention “low pressure” or “soft wash” along with customized cleaning solutions to fit the job.
- How many years of experience do you have doing my specific cleaning need?
- Can you provide references?
- Can you give me an estimate? How much wiggle room is in the estimate?
- How long will the service take?
- Avg 2000 sq/ft home should take about 2 hours. If they say 6 hours or 2 days, look elsewhere
- Do you guarantee your work?
Alongside the Q&A session should be online research. Their online reputation will give you a very good indication of the kind of work they do and how happy their customers are. At the very least, look them up on Yelp and Google and take a look at their recommendations